I've always liked cornbread, but I've never LOVED cornbread until now.
It's a nice mix between traditional cornbread and a biscuit. All the right flavors but (in my opinion) a much better texture.
They're hot but not overwhelmingly spicy. For a little extra spicy I spread hot honey butter on top.
These are perfect right out of the oven, but if they cool off just heat it in the microwave for 20 seconds or pop it in a toaster oven for a minute.
ALSO!! It's chili season and this is the perfect side piece. Whether you like traditional chili, vegetarian chili, turkey chili, white bean.... you name it. You need to have this on the side. It takes about 10 minutes of effort, 20 minutes of sitting and then 20 minutes in the oven. Good chili takes longer- so you'll have time.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir. Add wet ingredients to a separate bowl and whisk together.
3. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, don’t over mix, it should be a little clumpy
4. Fold most of the cheese and jalapeños into the dough and let sit 20 minutes
5. Pour into a greased 9x9 oven safe dish and drizzle with honey. Top with extra cheese and jalapeno slices.
6. Bake for 20 minutes (or until it passes the toothpick test)
7. Cut into pieces and enjoy!
Bonus points: top with hot honey butter!
Mix 2 tablespoons of room temp butter with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of hot sauce. I used cholula but tabasco and texas pete would also be great. Use your favorite!
Make this recipe! And then let me know how it goes @honeyibaked on instagram.