Bring on the Cholulaaa! If you've never had Cholula's Chipotle hot sauce, now is the time.
For all my meal prep experts and meal prep hopefuls, this recipe is for you. It's easy to make, easy to store, easy to reheat.
This recipe is flavorful but not really spicy. You can add more Cholula or paprika if you want extra spice.
My version of meal prep is as follows (for taking into work):
1. Cook chicken, rice, beans, squash on Sunday and store in separate containers.
2. Make crema dressing and store in 4 containers.
3. In the morning before work add warm ingredients to a container.
4. Cut cucumber slices, chop some cilantro, slice half of an avocado. Add all this and a handful or two of arugula to a plastic or silicone baggie.
5. Take your warm ingredients, bag of veggies and dressing to work! Heat up the warm stuff for 60 seconds whenever you get hungry then add toppings and dressing. Boom! Easy!
*If you're just making these to keep at home, still store separately and then just add everything to a plate when you're ready to heat it. I know it takes a little extra time but I think everything stays better this way. Even if you store the warm ingredients together, still keep the veggies separate and don't cut them until you're ready to eat. Cut veggies don't last.
I really really love this butternut squash. You can either cook it in a skillet or in the oven. I prefer skillet but if you're a sheet tray kinda person, go for it. Be sure to use veggie oil and set the oven to 425 if you're going to cook in the oven.
This would also work really well as a family meal. Everyone can make their own bowl!
-you'll need either 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or two large chicken breasts.
-3/4 cup greek yogurt
-3 tablespoons Cholula Chipotle hot sauce
-2 teaspoons pepper
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon ginger powder
-1 lime, zest and juice
-mix everything in a plastic bag and let it marinate for 30 minutes or longer
-1 medium butternut squash
-peal and then microwave for two minutes, then cut into small cubes (1cmx1cm)
-1 tablespoon brown sugar
-2 teaspoons cumin
-2 teaspoons paprika
-salt and pepper to taste
-drizzle with olive or vegetable oil, add spices and mix to coat.
Cilantro lime rice:
-1 cup rice, 2 cups water
-juice and zest from one lime
-1 tablespoon garlic powder or paste
-(0.5 -1) cup cilantro, diced really small, loosely packed
-1 can black beans, microwave covered for 2 minutes then drain.
-1 package of baby arugula
-1 english cucumber, cut slices as you need them
-2 avocados (aka 4 halves)
-1/2 cup sour cream
-2 tablespoons Cholula Chipotle sauce
-1 lime, juice and zest
-1 teaspoon pepper (I like white pepper)
-2 teaspoons garlic powder
-1 teaspoon onion powder
Suggested cooking instructions:
*start by marinating the chicken and prepping the squash.
1. Add rice and water to a pot and bring to a boil, cook according to package but probably 15 minutes. Removed from heat once water is soaked up/ evaporated.
2. Add olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium until glistening.
3. Add chicken to the skillet and cook 8 minutes on each side. Remove.
4. Add butternut squash to the skillet and cook until soft in the middle but browned on the edges. about 10 minutes.
5. Microwave beans for 2 minutes, covered, then drain the juices.
6. Add cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, and garlic powder to the rice and stir.
7. Add crema ingredients to a bowl and mix.
Alternate cooking instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toss the butternut squash with vegetable oil rather than olive oil
3. Add chicken and squash to the baking sheet and bake 20 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken, flip the squash and then bake another 10 minutes.
Prep according to your personal preference but I outlined mine above!
Or serve for dinner as is. Should take about 45 minutes, especially if you are efficient with time and prep the chicken ahead of time.
Fun extra ingredient: pickled red onions!
Let me know if you make this! Share with me on instagram @honeyibaked