Sweet (and savory) Potato Fries
Never met a fry I didn't like... but these are the kinda fries you take home to your parents.
These fries are more than just fries for me, I went through a phase senior year of college when I thought it was just so cool I could make them whenever I wanted so I did. Almost every week for a while. Which means I've perfected this recipe, right?! Hopefully..
ALSO: these go perfectly with homemade honey mustard that you can make while you're waiting for them to cook in the oven.
These go great on the side or can star on their own. I've even put them on salad before because why not?
The instructions say 8 steps but think of it more as 3: Cut fries, Season fries, Cook fries.
1 large sweet potato or two small ones
2 tablespoons e.v.o.o or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon white or black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. Microwave the sweet potato for 1 minute (2 if its really giant) so it’ll be easier to cut
3. Cut the ends off so you have a better shape to work with then cut in half long ways, then cut ¼ inch strips and then lay those down and cut again into smaller strips. Try to make them look like regular shaped fries. If you make them thick you’ll need to cook them longer.
4. Add the cut sweet potato to a bowl, add oil and spices and stir to coat
5. Add fries to a non stick baking sheet (spray it with cooking spray first if you want to be extra diligent)
6. Place them side by side but not overlapping and put the sheet in the oven
7. Cook 15 minutes then flip and either cook another 15 minutes or broil for 7.
8. Remove from the oven, let cool and enjoy!
-These fries go great with honey mustard dipping sauce.
-Try to find sweet potatoes that aren’t too weird shaped, it’ll be easier to cut.